TMJ Treatment in Germantown, MD
Total Dental Care offers TMJ treatment in Germantown, MD. Call 240-813-9111 to learn more and schedule your appointment.
The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) connects the jawbone to the skull. TMJ disorders often cause discomfort in the cheek, jaw, or ear areas and can affect normal jaw function.
TMJ conditions fall into following categories:
- Myofacial pain – discomfort or pain in the muscles that control jaw function (grinding teeth can result in this type of TMJ disorder)
- Internal derangement of the joint – a possible indicator of a displaced disc, dislocated jaw, or injury to the condyle
- Arthritis – a degenerative inflammatory disorder
- Arthrocentesis: When there is severe pain in the joint or when the jaw opening gets restricted, needles can be inserted into the joint to wash it off inflammatory chemicals and allow manipulation under general anesthesia to reposition a disc that is out of place. This procedure also allows injection of steroids into the joint to help decrease the inflammation
Signs and symptoms of TMJ disorders can include:
- Soreness in the cheek or jaw area
- Pain in or around the ears
- Facial pain
- Tight jaws
- Popping or clicking sounds when opening mouth
- Locking of the jaw
- Difficulty chewing
These symptoms can be intensified by stress.
In less severe cases TMJ disorders can be treated with self-managed care (eating soft foods, using ice packs, avoiding extreme jaw movement) or nonsurgical treatments (anti-inflammatory medications, Botox injections, or stabilization splints). In severe cases surgical treatments (jaw joint replacements) may be necessary.
To schedule your appointment, call us today at 240-813-9111.