Is your smile in need of a makeover? If you’re not satisfied with your smile when you look in the mirror or at pictures of yourself, you’re not alone. Many people feel self-conscious about their teeth and avoid smiling as a result. But you don’t have to feel this way.
A smile makeover is a term to describe the collective treatments and procedures that can be done to improve the appearance of your teeth. Some procedures may be merely cosmetic, while others may be restorative as well. The ultimate goal is to transform your smile so that you can feel confident.
Here’s what you can expect if you see your dentist about a smile makeover.
Step 1: The Consultation
Every great smile makeover begins with a consultation. For this appointment it can help for you to bring some pictures of yourself from the past if you’re looking to restore your smile to its former glory. You can also bring other pictures that show what you want your smile to look like. The key is to make your smile look beautiful, but also natural. You and your dentist will discuss your goals to determine what you want from your smile makeover.
Your dentist will then examine your teeth and carry out a complete digital scan to determine what treatments and procedures will need to be done to help you achieve the smile you want. Together you will create a plan to recreate your smile over the following weeks or months. The time frame depends on the number and complexity of the procedures you’ll have done.
Dental Treatments and Procedures
Your smile makeover could include any of the following:
- Teeth Whitening. One of the most basic treatments that can be done to improve the appearance of your teeth is whitening. Professional teeth whitening can remove stains and brighten your teeth more dramatically than over the counter products.
- Veneers. If your teeth are crooked, uneven, chipped, worn down, discolored, or have gaps, veneers can cover those issues. Veneers are thin porcelain shells that attach to the front side of your teeth to make them look more uniform.
- Crowns. A crown can serve a restorative or cosmetic purpose. If a tooth is so severely decayed that it can’t be restored with a composite filling, it can be covered with a crown. A crown allows the natural tooth root to remain in place. If a tooth is chipped or worn, it can be covered with a crown to improve its appearance.
- Bridges. A dental bridge is an option to replace a missing tooth or a few teeth in a row. A bridge can attach to healthy teeth on either side of the gap via crowns with an artificial tooth or row of partials suspended between. A bridge can also be anchored by dental implants on either side of the gap.
- Dental Implants. A dental implant is another tooth/teeth replacement option. It consists of placement of an artificial titanium root that is implanted in the jaw bone with a crown attached to the top. Bridges can also be fabricated over a few implants. It looks and functions as closely as possible to a natural tooth. Dental Implants can sometimes serve as a foundation for an entire makeover.
- Dentures. When you need to replace a large number of teeth, dentures can do the job very efficiently. Dentures typically consist of an entire arch of teeth that can attach the gums via suction or adhesives. Implant supported dentures attach to a few dental implants that are placed in the jaw bone.
- Composite Fillings. Composite resin is a tooth-colored material that is used to fill cavities and reshape teeth. Veneers can also be made of composite resin as a more affordable alternative to porcelain veneers.
- Inlays and Onlays. When a tooth has too much damage for a composite filling but it doesn’t require a crown, an inlay or onlay can be used to fortify the tooth. Inlays and onlays are artificial tooth pieces, often made of porcelain, that can be bonded to the existing tooth.
Total Dental Care Can Transform Your Smile
Any combination of these treatments and procedures may be used to create your smile transformation at Total Dental Care. You and your dentist will discuss the options and create a plan for your smile makeover.